Two-Time Olympic Pentathlon Athlete and “Olympic Thinking” Business Keynote Speaker
Through keynotes, training and consulting, Marilyn King provides business leaders and educators with thinking tools that will serve them for a lifetime. Her work is a powerful example of applying skills learned through sports to the areas of business, education and peace.
King is a two-time Olympian (Munich, 1972 & Montreal, 1976) in the grueling five event Pentathlon. Her 20-year athletic career includes five national titles and a World Record.
In 1979, an automobile accident rendered her unable to train physically for her third Olympic Team. Using only mental training techniques she placed second at the Olympic trials for the 1980 Moscow Games.
This extraordinary experience and the resulting research led to a 17-year career as an expert in the field of exceptional human performance. The implications of her findings regarding human performance prompted Marilyn to give up her prestigious head coaching position at the University of California, Berkeley to found Beyond Sports. Her discovery of the three elements that are always present when ordinary people do extraordinary things led to the development of Olympian Technology.
Over the past 17 years Marilyn′s message of unlimited possibility has inspired thousands worldwide. Her techniques have been incorporated by businesses seeking to empower employees, embrace change and provide global leadership. Her corporate clients include American Express, Apple Computer, AT&T, Haas School of Business, Hewlett Packard, IBM, L.M. Ericsson, Monsanto, Sun Microsystems, Swiss Reinsurance Company and Xerox Business Services.
Her most pioneering work, a joint Russian-American venture called the Peace Team prompted two invitations to speak at the United Nations. She is currently featured in numerous articles and books including, DreamMakers by Michele Hunt and Spirit of Champions by Lyle Nelson & Thorn Bacon, and appeared recently on NewsHour with Jim Lehrer.
Please note that while this speaker’s specific fee falls within the range posted (for Continental U.S. based events), fees are subject to change. For current fee information or international event fees (which are generally 50-75% more than U.S based event fees), please contact us.
Speaker Booking Tip
“Tip: find a speaker in your local area to save on travel costs. Most speakers will also reduce their keynote fee for local events. ”
- Sara Blakely Creator and Founder of Spanx Sara Blakely wanted footless bodyshaping pantyhose to wear with her cream-colored pants and open-toed shoes, but she couldn′t find them anywhere. Frustrated consumer turned entrepreneur, Sara took $5,000 in savings and began her adventure in the $2 billion male-dominated hosiery industry. Two years later, with her first pair of patented...
- Gretchen Morgenson Gretchen Morgenson is assistant business and financial editor and a columnist at the New York Times. She has covered the world financial markets for The Times since May 1998 and won the Pulitzer Prize in 2002 for her “trenchant and incisive” coverage of Wall Street. She was also a member of the team that won...
- Steve Blank Put to a vote, I might have been chosen “least likely to succeed” in my New York City high school class. My path has taken me from repairing fighter planes in Thailand during the Vietnam War (a member of the Society of Wild Weasels), to spook stuff in undisclosed location(s), and I was lucky enough...
"My goal for this year′s symposium was to educate and motivate some of our best and brightest leaders. Your session on Olympian Thinking clearly accomplished this goal as you shared your accomplishments and the role that Vision, Passion and Action play in successful people′s lives."
— Scott A. Dougall, Vice President, IBM Technical Support
"Marilyn, you were a true partner with us. The specific tools provided in your workshops were put to immediate use to fan the flames of the learning revolution."
— Chris Turner, Xerox Business Services
"What can I say except ′Wow!′? Your graciousness, professionalism, and inspirational message truly resonated with everyone at the conference. Your message has had a lasting impact. Thank you for making this year′s conference such a success!"
— Financial Women International
"Thank you for your participation in the Sun Microsystems Finance and Legal Affairs Group (FLAG) Conference. This years conference was the most successful by all accounts. Very much in part due to your assistance in the design phase as well as a presenter. Fantastic feedback from your keynote speech at dinner was received from everyone. Congratulations!"
— Kevin Walsh, Vice President, WWOPS Finance and Planning Sun Microsystems
"I know that this was not your first experience with Hewlett-Packard, and your reputation is well deserved as both keynote and workshop presenter. Your message has been an inspiration to those who have had the fortune to be in your audience."
— Judy Allen, Hewlett-Packard
“What an inspiration you are! My staff and I came back with renewed spirits and the will to work on building a stronger team bond…thanks to your ability to motivate and inspire. Needless to say I was again awestruck by your talk, just as I was when I heard you at the Women in Leadership Summit in San Francisco.”
— Barbara Whittacker, Exectuive Director, Worldwide Purchasing- Metallic General Motors
Most Requested Programs:
- It′s Time To Make Our Dreams Come True
- How Ordinary People Do Extraordinary Things
- The Key Ingredient In Challenging Times
- Living Like An Olympian
- The Olympian Edge
- Change Masters
- Awaken The Olympian In You