Gretchen Morgenson is assistant business and financial editor and a columnist at the New York Times. She has covered the world financial markets for The Times since May 1998 and won the Pulitzer Prize in 2002 for her “trenchant and incisive” coverage of Wall Street. She was also a member of the team that won the prestigious Gerald Loeb Award for deadline/beat reporting for the newspaper’s 1998 articles on the near collapse of Long Term Capital Management, the massive hedge fund whose troubles roiled the world’s financial markets. In 2000, she won the ICI Education Foundation and American University School of Communication Journalism Award for excellence in personal finance reporting.
Ms. Morgenson joined The Times as assistant business and financial editor in May 1998. Previously, she was assistant managing editor at Forbes magazine since rejoining the magazine in March 1996. Before that, she was the press secretary for the Forbes for President campaign from September 1995 to March 1996.
From August 1993 to August 1995, Ms. Morgenson was the executive editor at Worth magazine. As the number two editor, she oversaw all financial coverage and also wrote an investigative “Full Disclosure” column monthly. From November 1986 to August 1993, she was an investigative business writer and editor at Forbes magazine. She broke the story of anti-investor practices on the Nasdaq stock market that was followed by Justice Department and SEC investigations. Earlier, she oversaw several Forbes investing sections and their Washington bureau. From January 1984 to November 1986, she was a staff writer at Money magazine.
Ms. Morgenson was a stockbroker for Dean Witter Reynolds in New York from September 1981 to January 1984. She began her career at Vogue magazine as an editorial assistant in August 1976, and by the time she left the magazine in July 1981, she was a writer and financial columnist.
Ms. Morgenson is the co-author of Reckless Endangerment (2011) and The Woman’s Guide to the Stock Market, and author of Forbes Great Minds of Business. She received a B.A. degree in English and history from Saint Olaf College.
“Hearty kudos on the conference! You did it again—for the 17th time. You ran a day unlike any other in presenting such a diversity of speakers and deep insights into the soft and hard aspects of being a leader. I commend you for your great work in crafting this conference. One specific note—having Platon [award-winning photographer and author of Power] close out the speaker lineup was sheer brilliance in your programming.”
– Jim Kristie
Editor & Associate Publisher
Directors & Boards
Gretchen Morgenson on Regulation & Dodd-Frank
Gretchen Morgenson in conversation with James Flanigan
* Please note that while this speaker’s specific speaking fee falls within the range posted above (for Continental U.S. based events), fees are subject to change. For current fee information or international event fees (which are generally 50-75% more than U.S based event fees), please contact us.
Top25 Speaker Voting
Gretchen Morgenson needs 14 vote(s) to make it into the Top 25 speakers on Speaking.com!
Speaker Booking Tip
“Tip: some speakers might provide one of their popular book titles as a free gift to your audience. ”
For Event Planners
• Keynote Speaker Booking Toolkit.
• Booking a Celebrity Speaker.
• How to Find and Book the Right Speaker.
• Google+ Event Planning Forum.
• Tips for International Clients Booking U.S. Based Speakers.
- Tyra Banks Throughout her entire career, Tyra Banks has broken barriers and smashed glass ceilings. Despite hearing the words “You can’t” time and time again, she became…
- Sara Blakely Starting out with just $5000 in savings, Sara Blakely, entrepreneur and designer, is now one of the most famous names in the 2 billion-dollar hosiery…
- Michael Milken One of the wealthiest people in the world, Michael Milken has funneled hundreds of millions of dollars towards medical research, educational programs, and job creation.…
I'm extremely impressed with your speakers bureau's follow-through, responsiveness and willingness to understand our needs so that he could match the best speakers with what we are looking for. I will definitely work with you again in the future. Thank you for all that you did to help us create an exceptional learning experience for our attendees.
Established in 1994, we are exclusive agents for some of the world's leading experts, celebrities and professional speakers.
We offer event planners a fully staffed speaker logistics planning team, plus a personal SPEAKING.com Account Executive – a knowledgeable and trustworthy partner. We guarantee your satisfaction with your speaker and a smooth booking process.
Contact us today to book your favorite speaker.